Thursday, 30 April 2015

Curly Hair Routine + Products: Spring 2015

As you guys know if you read my Natural Hair Journey post I have been taking a lot of care with my natural hair, really experimenting with styles and products. Throughout my experimenting I have now found products that really make the most of my curls and make it easier to manage.

This picture was taken after being out for the whole day 


WASHING
 My whole curl enhancing process starts with washing my hair, I was my hair every 1-2 weeks depending on how dirty it feels If you have straight hair or straighter curly/ wavy hair then you are probably thinking EW but this is a totally normal and necessary thing as it stops my hair from being dry and gives my natural oils a chance to look after my hair. In my wash process I like to apply shampoo to the scalp of my hair and scrub with my finger tips (not my nails) and then I comb out my hair with the product in, this stimulates curls. I like to do this with a shampoo that doesn't totally strip out my hair of its moisture because for curly girls moisture is EVERYTHING that's why I like to use Tresemme Salon Silk Shampoo, it minimises frizz and my hair still feels soft and clean after using it. It contains argon oil which probably is what helps to decrease the amount of frizz. I like to wash my hair in the shower as the water pressure helps to promote curls in my hair as well.


CONDITIONING
 After washing my hair even though I use a shampoo that doesn't completely strip my hair of moisture I still like my hair to be as soft as possible. Motions Naturally You Smoothing Conditioner is one of the best conditioners I have ever tried. I went through a point where my hair was consonantly feeling dry no matter what I put on it but as soon as I used this product my hair has felt so light, soft and fluffy it is crazy. This Motions conditioner contains Shea Butter which helps with moisture and smoothing out hair frizz, as well as coconut & avocado oils to again help with moisture. I apply this to the ends of my hair and work it up the hair close to the scalp but I never make my conditioner touch the scalp as that just adds to product build up and I just think my hair works best that way. I then comb through my hair with the product in to again enhance curls and also to detangle my hair so I don't have to comb it when I get out of the shower causing added frizz. I then apply Tresemme Keratin Smooth Deep Treatment Masque on top of this conditioner as they work amazing together, then I get out of the shower put a plastic cap over my hair to seal in the moisture and heat and let the conditioner sit for about an hour minimum then rinse it out. When I use those products separately they do my my hair feel soft but together they are amazing.




STYLING
So after washing and shampooing my hair I wait for my wet to become damp by putting it in ponytail until my hair stops dripping then taking it out and just air drying it. Once my hair is damp I apply Motions Spray leave in conditioner, that helps to make my hair soft (you can kind of see a pattern here haha) I also use this when I am styling my hair on days when I'm not washing hair to get my hair sort of less than damp and soft so that I can style it. If I am going out that day I would just leave it like that and put it in a ponytail or bun or something like that however if I am dedicating that whole day to do my hair (which I normally do) I proceed like this... After spraying the leave in conditioner I section my hair into manageable sections. I then add Shea Moisture's Coconut and Hibiscus infused Shea Butter that I have previously whipped up with a fork, by whipping the shea butter it doesn't make you hair feel so weighed down and melts into your hair much easier. After applying that to the first manageable section I then twist my hair this helps with the shrinkage and loosening your curls. I do the same thing all over my head, if you feel like you have a tone of shrinkage or shorter hair I would consider flat twisting it ( I usually flat twist the front and middle of my hair and then individual twist the back). The next day I take it out to reveal curly hair that I can style however I want.



I whipped up the Shea butter using a fork and then put it back in the original pot.

I hope you enjoyed this kind of post, I love talking about this kind of stuff because I never thought my hair would be at a place where I would love it enough to share with others. I am planning on doing so much more hair styling and care posts especially nearing the summer time so look forward to that.

2 comments:

  1. Your hair looks lovely, definitely sounds like your routine has been working for your hair. I've been wanting to try that Tresemme Keratin Smooth treatment!

    The Velvet Black // UK Style & Beauty Blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the Tresemme Keratin Smooth range, it smells amazing and it makes my hair so soft and smooth xx

    Gemma ♥ | Miss Makeup Magpie

    ReplyDelete

BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS